Best GCSE results ever
PRESS RELEASE: 22nd August 2019
George Green’s School is once again celebrating a cohort of talented students and their outstanding GCSE results – the best ever. This year’s results again serve to highlight the progress students make after joining the school.
Students attaining grade 4 and above in both English and maths is up yet again from last year to 68%. Similarly, students attaining the strong pass grade 5 and above in both has risen to 50% in spite of the new rigorous exams.
Among the many success stories, Jakaria Khalil achieved a full house of ten grade 9s.
Jakaria’s parents, Khalil Uddin Ali and Farida Yasmin, looked on proudly as their son celebrated his amazing achievement. They commented: “We are overwhelmed, excited and very proud of our son and thankful of all the support the school has given. We are grateful to have a school like George Green’s in our area who provide constant support and motivation and such a variety of opportunities.”
The results are a testament to the hard work and commitment of students and teachers to achieving excellence. They follow last week’s jubilant Sixth Form students, many of whom enjoyed life changing outcomes, including unconditional offers at the likes of Queen Mary University and University of Greenwich.
Highlights from across the curriculum include significant numbers of high grades:
- 81% of students achieved 4+ in English; 68% attained 5+
- 71% of students achieved 4+ in Maths; 53% attained 5+and 71% attained 7+ in Further Maths
- RE 97% attained 4+, 92% attained 5+ and 62% attained 7+
- Physics 40% attained 7+, Biology 50% attained 7+, Chemistry 36% attained 7+
- Spanish 50% attained 7+, 53% achieved 7+ in French;
- 88% achieved 7+ in Italian
- 100% achieved 5+ in Music
In addition to the excellent overall picture, there have been some spectacular individual success stories:
- Syed Nasif Newaz secured an impressive portfolio of 999988887 and is staying in George Green’s Sixth form to study Biology, Chemistry and Maths A levels
- Ayesha Miah, also staying in GG Sixth Form, achieved five grade 9s, four grade 8s is going on to study History, Economics and Psychology.
- Oliur Rahman achieved 4 grade 9s, three grade 8s, a grade 7 and a grade 6 is also staying to study Biology, Chemistry and Maths A levels.
- Marina Senorans will study Physics, Maths and Chemistry having achieved two grade 9s, seven grade 8s and a grade 7
Overall there were an impressive 56 grade 9s, 44 grade 8s and 161 grade 7s. All the students commented on how one-to-one teacher support, along with all the booster classes that they were provided with has helped them to achieve these results today.
Principal Jill Baker commented: “Our GCSE students have done themselves and their families proud. We’ve had a fantastic time today celebrating their achievements. I was delighted to hear so many are choosing to stay with us for the Sixth Form because they recognise that the education and access to sector-leading partnerships is second to none.”